Here is another variation on Cajun chicken pasta (click here for the earlier version) where I've used Swiss brown mushrooms in the sauce (for more flavour), and made a crumbed chicken schnitzel dressed in Cajun seasoning to go with it.
Penne with Swiss Brown Mushrooms and Cajun Chicken Schnitzel
2 tbsp olive oil
180g (6 oz) bacon rashers, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
200g (7 oz) Swiss brown mushrooms, sliced
A few sprigs of thyme, leaves removed (about 1 tbsp)
1 tsp dried Italian herbs
1 cup chicken/vegetable stock
1 1/4 cup cream
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp butter
2 tsp Cajun seasoning, or to taste
Salt and black pepper
8 cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup grated parmesan, plus extra for serving
350g (12 oz) penne, cooked and drained, cooking liquid reserved
2 medium chicken breast fillets (about 500g), escalloped (this gives you 4-5 pieces)
2 tsp Cajun seasoning
1/3 cup plain flour
1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp milk
2 cups breadcrumbs
1 tbsp Cajun seasoning
Pinch of salt, to taste (optional)
2 tbsp chopped parsley
Olive oil and butter for frying
- Heat up 2 tbsp olive oil in pan and fry bacon for 3 minutes, then add garlic and fry for 1 minute.
- Add onions, mushrooms, thyme and dried herbs. Fry until mushrooms start to soften. Add stock and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cream and bring to a simmer. Stir in lemon juice and butter. Add Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Toss in the cherry tomatoes and cook until it starts to soften.
- Stir in the parmesan. Turn off the heat and toss the pasta with the sauce. Serve with addtional grated parmesan and chicken schnitzel.
To prepare the schnitzel:
- Using a meat mallet, flatten the chicken into thin escallopes, from which you will get 4-5 pieces. Rub all over with 2 tsp Cajun seasoning.
- On a plate, combine the breadcrumbs with parsley, 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning, parsley, and salt if desired. Place flour on a plate. Whisk egg and milk in a shallow bowl.
- Coat 1 piece of chicken in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg mixture. Coat in breadcrumb mixture. Place on a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken, flour, egg mixture and breadcrumb mixture.
- Heat oil and a knob of butter in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, in batches, for 3-5 minutes each side or until golden and cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel to drain. Serve with pasta.