This cheesecake is kind of a cross between cotton soft Japanese cheesecake and American (NY style) cheesecake. Though it does not have the chiffon cake properties of the former, it is not as dense as its American counterpart. From the photos here, you can sort of tell that the cheese layer is slightly fluffy, and there is a layer of sponge cake on the base as well. This version of cheesecake is quite similar to the Hokkaido cheesecake sold at Breadtop, However, I would have preferred a lighter, smoother and fluffier texture, and less "cheesey". Maybe it's just that I overfolded the egg whites and lost all that air and fluffiness. In my next attempt (not so soon), I might use use less cream cheese, add more fresh cream and toss in some cake flour, and see how that turns out.
Adapted from Kuali.com
4 egg yolks
4 egg whites
100g plain flour
50g butter (melted)
500g cream cheese
150g icing sugar
5 egg yolks
20g corn flour
150g thickened/whipping cream
5 egg whites
Zest of 1 lemon
3 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven at 180 degrees Celcius.Whip yolks and sugar until light and fluffyFor meringue, whip whites until soft peak and add sugar, continue to whip until stiff peak.
- Incorporate the meringue into the yolks mixture.
- Sift and fold in flour and lastly stir in melted butter and mix well.
- Pour batter into 23cm greased mould and bake at preheated oven for 25 - 30 minutes.
- Invert the cake directly from the mould once it is baked.
- Line a thin layer (slice the cake to 1cm thick) of sponge base on to a 23cm (9in) springform cake pan. Wrap the outside of the pan with 2-3 layers of aluminium foil to prevent water seeping in from the water bath. Preheat oven at 160 degrees Celcius.
- Whisk cream cheese, icing sugar, corn flour and cream over simmering water until smooth. Remove from heat.Mix in yolks, zest and juice, mix until well incorporated and set aside.
- To make meringue, whisk egg whites until foamy.
- Add in sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks.
- Lightly fold one third of the meringue (egg white mixture) into the cheese mixture, gently fold in the remaining meringue until just combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan and bake in a water bath in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes until firm and golden brown.
- Transfer to a cooling rack, allow to cool and refrigerate overnight.
- Glaze with warm apricot jam before serving and garnish as desired.