|Orange and almond cake, brushed with an apricot glaze|
This is a lovely cake, which I found is best eaten cold 1-2 days later. It keeps well in the fridge for up to 1 week. Here is the recipe, adapted from Belinda Jeffery's cookbook, which is actually based on Claudia Roden's "A Book of Middle Eastern Food".
Classic Flourless Orange and Almond Cake
2 large navel oranges
250g almond meal
250g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
6 large eggs
3/4 cup apricot jam
2 tbsp water
Blanched almonds / Almond flakes
- Place oranges in a large pot of boiling water and boil for 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until soft enough for a skewer to go through with ease. Top up the water from time to time so as to keep the oranges fully submerged. Spin the oranges around occasionally so that they cook evenly. When ready, drain and leave to cool. Chop them coarsely, skin and all and puree finely in a food processor.
- Preheat oven to 170C. Grease and line base and sides of a 22cm round cake tin with buttered baking paper. Dust the tin lightly with flour (or almond meal) and set aside.
- Whisk the almond meal, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl for half a minute or so.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk/beat the eggs on medium-high speed for about 6 minutes until light and fluffy. Turn off the mixer. Pour the orange puree and almond mixture into the eggs. Mix on low speed until just combined. Pour into prepared tin.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the top of the cake is just firm when pressed gently. Cool the cake in the tin on a wire rack. Once cool, invert the cake onto a serving plate and remove paper. Pour the apricot glaze over the cake and brush it all over evenly. You can coat the almonds in the glaze and decorate the cake with them.
- To make the glaze, boil the jam with 2 tbsp water for about 5 minutes until it becomes thick and syrupy. Pass it through a sieve and it's ready for glazing.
|The texture is somewhere between a cake and a pudding, moist with a bittersweet orange tang|
|Navel oranges that have been boiled until soft, and then pureed finely. These are combined|
with eggs, almond meal,baking powder and sugar. No butter or oil!